This course aims to provide an understanding of the supervisor’s role in organizational health and safety. It will explore the requirements of due diligence, the rights of workers, supervisor and worker health and safety requirements, employee competency, and the role of Health and Safety Committees. The course will also look at supervisor’s roles in hazard identification and control, accident reporting and investigation and the importance of communicating health and safety information.
This course will highlight the most important aspects of the supervisor’s role so that they can participate effectively in health and safety responsibilities and work towards the continual improvement of health and safety performance in their organization.
This one-day workshop will help you teach participants to:
- Understand the employer’s responsibility to display due diligence for organizational health and safety
- Know and understand the three rights of workers
- Identify the responsibilities and roles of supervisors and workers in organizational health and safety
- Realize the role of the Health and Safety Committee in organizational health and safety
- Identify the responsibilities of supervisors and workers in hazard identification, assessment and control, safety and health inspections, and accident reporting and investigation
- Create an employee orientation checklist
- List the necessary health and safety training for employees
- Understand the importance of communicating health and safety information.
You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
Workplace Health and Safety Experience
This session looks at due diligence from the perspective of the worker and the employer. Students will also learn about the importance of a Health and Safety Policy Statement to show a companywide safety commitment.
Here, your students will learn about the three rights every worker has.
Supervisor and Worker Health and Safety Responsibilities
Students will explore the general responsibilities for Health and Safety for supervisors and workers. They will also research the specific responsibilities in their jurisdictions.
Health and Safety Committees
Functions of Health and Safety Committees will come under scrutiny here. Students will look at the functions and responsibilities of committees and local requirements, plus how to hold meetings and the functioning of co-chairs.
Hazard Identification, Assessment, and Control
This session looks at observable health and safety issues, the importance of inspections, and safety audits.
Employee competency through orientation and training is looked at and students will develop a list of training methods that can be used in Health and Safety.
Accident Reporting and Investigating
In this session, students will research accident reporting procedures and then explore accident investigations.
Communicating Health and Safety Information
This final session looks at communication tools and right-to-know stations.
At the end of the course, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.